About

History

AccessibleLocal and straightforward

Museum Mors is a state approved museum of cultural history, with Mors as its geographical sphere of activity. The museum has five departments: Dueholm Monastery, Fossil- and Mo-clay Museum, The agricultural museum Skarregaard, Danish Foundry Museum, and Morsø Local Archive.

The museum was founded in 1901. In 1909, the museum bought what was left of the old Dueholm monastery and manor, and moved into the old manor house, where it is still located today. In the early days, only the main building housed the Museum. The exhibits were placed at one end of the building, while the curator lived at the other end. In the 1920s, the curator moved out of the main building, and the apartment was redecorated and used for exhibits.

In the early 1950s, the museum bought the house next to the main building, the Cavalier wing. One end of the building was used for exhibits, while the other half became an apartment for the museum custodian. He lived there until the late 1970s. The apartment now houses the museum administration.

Since the 1980s, the museum has evolved considerably. Three houses close to the main building at Dueholm has been bought and redesigned for exhibits, the local archive, offices, and workshop, and the old manor dairy has also been acquired and redesigned for exhibits. The main building at Dueholm, the Cavalier wing, and parts of the dairy are listed.

Until the 1980s, the museum only consisted of the complex of building around Dueholm Monastery. In 1988, the Fossil- and Mo-clay Museum was established in redeveloped agricultural buildings near the site, where mo-clay has been extracted since the early 1900s. The museum contains a large and stunning collection of fossils found in the mo-clay on Mors. The old agricultural buildings have been redesigned for exhibits, shop, office, and workshop. The museum is open during the summer season.

In 1992, Museum Mors took over management of Skarregaard, which is a listed four-winged cattle farm. Today, Skarregaard is both an agricultural museum, and a fully active farm with sheep and organic management of about 100 hectares of land and forest.

Also in 1992, Morsø Iron Foundry moved its production out of the old factory buildings in Nykøbing. The complex was renovated extensively, and today, Danish Foundry Museum is found in one of the old and beautiful factory buildings.

Museum Mors also manages the local archive, which was moved to the dairy building at Dueholm Monastery in 2016.